Your best cows are paying the bills, your worst cows are costing you money.
Linking dams with their calves at birth is the first step to measuring cow productivity. Maternal traits that are critical to your farm’s profits - calving ease, calf survival and mothering ability can be increased by selective breeding. Genetic improvement happens when you only keep replacements from your top-performers.
Why record Calving?
- to link dams with their calves to measure cow productivity
- to match calves with their dams in case of problems
- for herd register and inventory purposes
Use a calving report:
- to compare maternal traits of cows
- to cull cows that did not calve
- to cull cows that gave birth but lost their calf.