Use your own scoring system...
...to rate dams and newborn calves. Score a cow for her mothering and milk supply at calving time. Good mothers wean more calves! Score a newborn calf for its vigour and ease of birth. You can reduce future calving problems by selecting replacement heifers that were born unassisted themselves.
Why record Calving Scores?
Record calving scores:
- to note problems at calving
- to note superior dams at calving
- to set a birth weight default.
Use a calving report:
- to help make culling decisions
- to help make decisions on selecting replacements
- to identify problem animals or genetic lines.